Friday 25 July 2008

San Cristoforo

Jenny speaking again. After a nice pizza and one of those flaming (literally) Barghegiana panna cottas, I went into town to await the arrival of the big procession for San Cristoforo, the patron saint of Barga. I had already seen some of the bands pass the restaurant I was eating at, but the full procession was amazing.

It went on for half an hour with bandsmen, drummers, and marchers mostly in mediaeval costume, some carrying banners and others carrying very heavy looking crossbows. After cutting up the backstreets to just below the Duomo, I watched most of them come past again through the dimly lit streets with their flares lighting the way.Just after I arrived home I heard loud explosions outside.

When I looked out from the balcony I saw a fantastic firework display which was happening just yards away from the back of the house. I believe it was part of the post procession celebrations for the participants.

Ray on the other hand went to the Giovedi Club and had lots to eat and drink.

No comments: